Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tibetan Monks in Washington DC



During my recent visit to Washington, DC this past July, also in town was the Tibetan 14th Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso (Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso – 1989 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate). Resulting in His Holiness’s visit to Washington, DC were legions of robed Tibetan monks throughout the city.




The Sunday I was there, my Japanese good and trusted friend “Inglewoodgridah” (his YouTube name) spent the day walking the National Mall. That is where the Lincoln Memorial, the World War Two Memorial, the Washington Monument, the Capitol Building, and the Korean War Memorial are located.




We were approaching the Korean War Memorial when we observed a group of Tibetan Monks sitting on a park bench with a Caucasian with another monk in front taking photographs. I walked up and offer to take group photo. The monk with the camera spoke with me in good English. I took a few pictures, then asked where they were from (I did not want to assume anything). I was told Tibet. I then asked if what we hear in the USA about Chinese authorities suppressing their culture, religion, and language.




The one monk looked at my Japanese friend then said to me, “Sorry we do not speak English,” then got up and left. They probably thought my Japanese friend to be a commie Chinese agent.




How pathetic is that? They were about 13,000 miles from Commie-land and yet still had the fear of those commie gangsters. I said to my Japanese friend, “You being from Japan, and me an American we can go anywhere in the world and criticize our governments without any fear. How said is that those poor souls have such fear.” When the monks ran off, they in essence answered my question.




Commies are lower than a snake’s belly in a wagon rut.




No comments: